Tuesday, August 28, 2007

'You are both'

Self-flattery is very unbecoming. That's why I quote others saying nice things about me. (Don't worry. It doesn't happen often.) The comments on my Q&A with The Forward have slowed to a trickle, but Carolyn wrote today that I am "a man more articulate than most." My wife might balk, but I like Carolyn's final point, on which many more people disagree:
It's unfortunate that people seem to think of religion the same way as a sports team. "Well, are you Jewish OR are you a Christian?" If you've studied the origin of Christianity, you know that it comes from Judaism and is very closely related. Some of us are Judeo-Christians, and today's organized religions don't seem to understand what that means. To Brad Greenberg I say that I'm proud of you for declaring who you are and being willing to put up with the replies that it brings you and, as a man more articulate than most, to explain that yes, you are both.

No comments: