Saturday, August 18, 2007

Billy Graham's diabolical side


Look at the placement of Billy Graham's head in front of the "M" in TIME and tell me: is it just coincidence, or did the editors of Time magazine intend for the design of last week's cover to give the influential evangelist horns?

Coincidence, I'd say.

"Some Internet bloggers," the Charlotte Observer reports, "see something else."
A devilish plot. They're accusing Time -- some seriously, some tongue-in-cheek -- of putting horns on the Charlotte-born evangelist.

"Well, the left media continues its crusade of soft propaganda," wrote conservative blogger John Ruskin. "This time, the target is Rev. Billy Graham ... Yeah, tell me that was an innocent mistake."

(Hat tip: DMN religion blog)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the magazine but didn't notice the "horns" either. Still, it's a weird coincidence!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog (thanks to Google Alerts for Bel Air Pres), and it's great reading! I've subscribed, looking forward to keeping up. I just came on board at BAPC so it's nice to know there are other bloggers out their from our church. Hope to run in to you sometime...

Brad A. Greenberg said...

Right on, Matt. What were you hired on to do at Bel Air? I'll look forward to seeing you around, and feel free to e-mail me at thecreator@thegodblog.org.

Anonymous said...

As long as Time keeps its basic cover design, the M horns are going to pop up every now and then. When Bill Clinton was named Person of the Year in '92, I remember people complaining about the exact same thing.

And, if you read the story, it's pretty clear that Time isn't out to get Billy Graham. They're basically using the cover to flack their own reporters' book (a whole separate media issue that's not worth arguing about here), so why would they then turn around and try to smear the guy of whom they're painting a sympathetic portrait?

Brad A. Greenberg said...

I agree with the always insightful Mr. Hopkins.

This was, I believe, Billy Graham's fourth Time magazine cover.