Thursday, June 21, 2007

If it's racist, it ain't anti-Semitic


Remember that "Seinfeld" episode where George's phone line gets crossed with a woman who goes by Donna Chang? Having called George, Jerry ends up spending a while on the phone with Donna Chang and decides to ask out this mystery woman. But when he shows up to the Chinese restaurant she suggested, he's startled to see a plain Long Island blonde.

DONNA
Did you think I was Chinese?..

JERRY
Oh. No. Oh, you mean because of the "Chang"?

DONNA
Actually, the family name wasn't originally Chang.

JERRY
I didn't think so.

DONNA
It used to be "Changstein."

Well, I imagined a similar scenario just now as I leafed through the LA Times and saw an article about embattled San Francisco Supervisor Ed Jew. Jew, who is no yid, represents Frisco's Chinatown. He is the board's only Asian American.

I wonder if he dines out-of-towners at the House of Bagels.

No comments: