Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Won't spell on Sunday

Huck.jpgRemember when the Dodgers were battling the Giants for a spot in the 2001 playoffs and slugger Shawn Green announced he wouldn't play on Yom Kippur? Well, this story out of America's heartland is similar, except the superstar is a Christian, and the sport is spelling. From the Indianapolis Star:

Elliot Huck, a 14-year-old from Bloomington who finished 45th out of more than 250 spellers in the National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C., last year, says competing on Sunday conflicts with his view of the Biblical commandment to rest on the Sabbath.

"I always try to glorify God with what I do in the spelling bee because he is the one who gave me the talent for spelling," said Elliot, a student at Lighthouse Christian Academy in Bloomington.

"Now I think I'm going to not spell and try to give glory to God in that."

No comments: