Friday, October 5, 2007

Dawkins: Jews 'monopolize American foreign policy'


Daniel Finkelstein at
The Times of London has a problem with what uber-atheist Richard Dawkins has to say about Jews:

I have just come across the most extraordinary statement by Richard Dawkins. It is right there on the Guardian website without a sentence even questioning it. Here it is:

When you think about how fantastically successful the Jewish lobby has been, though, in fact, they are less numerous I am told - religious Jews anyway - than atheists and [yet they] more or less monopolise American foreign policy as far as many people can see. So if atheists could achieve a small fraction of that influence, the world would be a better place.

So Dawkins, a liberal hero, believes, er, that Jews control world power. And, judging from the Guardian, it is now a part of mainstream debate to say so. Perhaps you think I am over-reacting, but I am a little bit frightened.

Chris Dillow manages some elegant reflections on social proof.

All I can manage is Oh My God.

It's no mystery that atheists want a louder voice in Western politics. They should, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want to follow the Jewish model for success. But, based on Dawkins' use of the word "monopolize," I'd guess the two books in his nightstand -- the place you'd find a Gideon's Bible in American hotels -- are "The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy" and "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion." Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

D Goska said...

Hi, I came across your blog after googling "Dawkins" and "Jews."

I came across Dawkins' original comment while web surfing. I don't even remember what I was looking for -- I found Dawkins' comment so jaw dropping I just stared at the screen.

Um. Where to start.

Maybe the spookiest, creepiest part of this is finding websites where people are posting things like, "How is it anti-Semitic to say that Jews control the world?"

I mean, where do you start with worldviews like that?

Let's break it down:

It is not true that Jews "monopolize" US foreign policy. If you think that that is true, you need to have your reality glasses checked.

US foreign policy is controlled in large part by our greed for petroleum and by the current resident of the Oval Office, who, last time anyone looked, was not a Jew, any more than any other American president.

Yes, Jews organize -- as do gun owners -- the NRA? -- workers -- the Teamsters? -- corn and soybean farmers -- Christian evangelicals ...

I mean, if you have to say all this to people, is it worth the time? Have not these people already bought the main premise of the Protocols?

On the other hand, answer me this, someone. If the pope had said the exact same thing that Dawkins had said, wouldn't the press be jumping down the pope's throat?

Doesn't Dawkins get a free pass because he's an obnoxious media atheist who hates God and says naughty things about priests and nuns and such?

Danusha Goska